Yesterday was meeting-centric at work.
There is one Wednesday every month where we have a sales meeting for 2 hours in the morning, then we have an hour break to check our email, eat and pee, etc… and then we’re back in a manager meeting for another hour.
I don’t look forward to those Wednesdays, but I don’t necessarily dread them either.
It’s the one day a month when our office has more testosterone than estrogen. Meetings with the sales men have been some of my favorite meetings and it just so happens that I fancy one of them. I always try to get a spot next to him…
Anyway, we currently only have one sales woman and she’s the boss (Boss-Lady).
She said something in yesterday’s morning meeting that made me think.
When someone wants me to help them buy a home, the very first thing I do is sit them down and make a list.
One side of the list will say “Must Have” and the other side of the list will say “Want to Have”.
I make a copy of that list and as we walk through each house, I check off the items on the list.
Do you think it would help if we carried around a list of the things that we “Must Have” when we’re trying to find our someone?
How often do you think the things on that list would change?
Every time we have a failed relationship?
Sometimes maybe in the middle of them?
It got me to thinking, though, and I think my current list would read a bit like this:
- I need him to want to act like an adult. For example — take responsibility for his actions (mistakes and all).
- I need him to want to take care of himself (because if he can’t care for himself how can I possibly expect him to care for me).
- I need him to want to grow and learn.
- I need him to be patient and understanding with, and not isolate himself from me for a week (or longer) when I have an attack of PMS or disagree with him. Clue = that is when I need him the most.
- And I need him to NOT tell me that I am ALWAYS oversensitive because I am NOT!!
Most times I fight it successfully. I’m sorry that my stupid PMS monster comes out that goddamned twice a year, for fuck sake! It’s not like punishing me with silence is going to make me happier or something.
Ahem… **attempts to regain composure**